ethiXbase looks back at some of the most significant anti-corruption developments across what has been a tumultuous 2016 – in particular an unprecedented volume of massive corruption scandals that have engulfed corporates and countries, some still widening with the end seemingly nowhere in sight.
This presentation outlines our most read Ethical Alliance Daily News articles in 2016 to-date, providing a valuable overview of the state of anti-corruption compliance. Enjoy!
TOP 10 MOST READ Ethical Alliance Daily News in 2016 To-Date
10. Trial of ex-BSI banker Yeo Jiawei kicks off in Singapore, first in international 1MDB probe “The prosecution will call nine witnesses in its case against former BSI banker Yeo Jiawei –the first person to be tried for the key role he allegedly played in a massive money laundering operation linked to scandal-hit 1 Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) fund.” Click here to read more on the Ethical Alliance Daily News. The full original article can be found at straitstimes.com Photo:STFILE #UnitedAgainstCorruption
9. FIFA Compliance Chief Quits, Saying Corruption Fight Threatened “Scala, who was with the organization for four years, said a vote Friday (May 13 2016) by FIFA to let the ruling council dismiss members of its independent advisory bodies would leave them “in danger of becoming auxiliary agents of those whom they should actually supervise.” The changes were made at the first congress under new President Gianni Infantino.” Click here to read more on the Ethical Alliance Daily News. The full original article can be found at bloomberg.com Photo:ALEXANDERHASSENSTEIN/ FIFAVIAGETTYIMAGES #UnitedAgainstCorruption
8. Ex-Ericsson executives tell of massive bribery: report “Former executives with Swedish telecoms equipment giant Ericsson say the firm shelled out tens of millions of dollars in bribes between 1998 and 2001, the Swedish media reported Wednesday (November 23 2016).” Click here to read more on the Ethical Alliance Daily News. The full original article can be found at businesstimes.com.sg Photo: REUTERS #UnitedAgainstCorruption
7. Anti-graft law officially sets sail in S. Korea “A much-debated anti-graft law has officially kicked off in South Korea, calling for workers in certain sectors who should maintain higher ethical standards to refrain from receiving any gift priced beyond a legal ceiling… Accordingly, the law is set to change the everyday lives of most of South Koreans as it will change the nature of business relations here.” Click here to read more on the Ethical Alliance Daily News. The original article can be found at english.yonhapnews.co.kr Photo: SCOOPNEST.COM #UnitedAgainstCorruption
6. Wal-Mart Balks at Paying $600-Million-Plus in Bribery Case “Officials have proposed that the world’s biggest retailer pay at least $600 million to resolve probes by the Justice Department and the Securities and Exchange Commission into whether it bribed government officials in markets from Mexico to India and China, according to three people familiar with the matter.” Click here to read more on the Ethical Alliance Daily News. The full original article can be found at bloomberg.com Photo: BLOOMBERG #UnitedAgainstCorruption
5. OECD releases new anti-corruption toolkit “A new OECD toolkit aimed at tackling corruption was recently released at the 2016 OECD Integrity Forum held on 19-20 April in Paris, and can now be used by governments around the world. Specifically aimed at the mining, oil and gas industries, the toolkit provides evidence-based analysis to better understand how corruption works.” Click here to read more on the Ethical Alliance Daily News. The full original article can be found at globalgovernmentforum.com Photo: GLOBAL GOVERNMENT FORUM #UnitedAgainstCorruption
4. Iran billionaire Babak Zanjani sentenced to death for corruption “Iran’s billionaire tycoon Babak Zanjani has been sentenced to death for corruption, a judicial official said Sunday (March 6 2016), after a long trial in which he was accused of fraudulently pocketing $2.8 billion.” Click here to read more on the Ethical Alliance Daily News. The full original article can be found at gulfnews.com Photo: AFP #UnitedAgainstCorruption
3. Panama Papers: Leak exposes tax havens of world leaders and celebs “An investigation into the documents by more than 100 media groups, described as one of the largest such probes in history, revealed the hidden offshore dealings in the assets of around 140 political figures – including 12 current or former heads of states.” Click here to read more on the Ethical Alliance Daily News. The full original article can be found at straitstimes.com Photo: AFP #UnitedAgainstCorruption
2. ISO 37001 – The first international anti-bribery management system standard has arrived “The much anticipated ISO 37001 was published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) on October 14th 2016. This is the first international anti-bribery management system standard designed to help organizations combat bribery risk in their own operations and throughout their global value chains…” Click here to read more on the Ethical Alliance Daily News. The full original article can be found at iso.org. To learn some of the key measures under ISO 37001 and how ethiXbase can help, visit ethixbase.com/iso37001 Photo: ISO.ORG #UnitedAgainstCorruption
1. World’s biggest bribe scandal “A six-month investigation across two continents by Fairfax Media and The Huffington Post has alleged that billions of dollars of government contracts were awarded as the result of bribes paid on behalf of leading global firms. The investigation centres on a Monaco company called Unaoil, run by the jet-setting Ahsani clan.” Click here to read more on the Ethical Alliance Daily News. Part 1 of their report, entitled ‘World’s Biggest Bribe Scandal, Unaoil: The Company That Bribed the World’ can be found at theage.com.au Photo: Haidar Mohammed Ali / Getty Images #UnitedAgainstCorruption
What is the Ethical Alliance? The Ethical Alliance connects a global community of 45,000 like-minded members supporting ongoing professional self-development by providing FREE access to valuable educational resources, networking opportunities and best practice guidance.
This includes: Daily global anti-corruption and compliance updates delivered to your inbox, professional certification, latest whitepapers, podcasts, webcasts, blog posts and thought leadership events.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE ETHICAL ALLIANCE DAILY NEWS
Visit http://ethixbase.com/ethical-alliance-daily-news/ and simply enter your email address or contact us at marketing@ethiXbase.com to sign up and receive global anti-corruption and compliance updates daily!