Malaysia: Najib fails in bid to halt 1MDB trial for US hearings

The High Court here has rejected Najib Razak’s bid to have the ongoing 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) trial postponed pending a legal bid in a US court.

Najib’s lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah had earlier told the court that his client was seeking to get the names of 1MDB officials who allegedly received bribes from Goldman Sachs Group Inc and its former director Tim Leissner.

“In the proceedings in the US court, where Leissner and Goldman Sachs pleaded guilty, Leissner had actually admitted to paying bribes to several officials in 1MDB.

“They admitted to the act of bribery and we have therefore filed a discovery application and asked Leissner and Goldman Sachs to reveal the names of those that they have bribed,” he said, adding that the application which was made pursuant to the United States Code was filed on Nov 17 last year.

Shafee said the disclosure of the names was relevant to the defence’s case to show that the witnesses lack credibility and that they were in fact instruments of fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho or Jho Low.

The original full article can be found at freemalaysiatoday.com

(Photo: freemalaysiatoday.com)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top